In only his third speech from the Oval Office, President Barack Obama spoke to the American people about our country’s and the world’s fight against ISIS. On December 6, 2015, the President indicated that he intends no major policy change in our struggle against the violent extremist faction. The President’s speech in its entirety can be accessed on YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfQwzAo66FI
Staying the course will mean continuing to:
– Hunt terrorists;
– Train Iraqi and Syrian forces;
– Cooperate with legitimate authorities in Europe and the Middle East to detect and disrupt ISIS schemes; and
– Pursue political resolution of the Syrian civil war.
The President also requested cooperation from Congress to:
– Authorize military force, which Congress has failed or refused to do despite over a year of American military action against ISIS;
– Reform the visa waiver program for entry and residence of foreigners on American soil;
– Close the current legal loophole allowing people on Homeland Security’s “No Fly List” to purchase guns; and
– Reconsider gun control, which Congress has not done since immediately after the 2012 elementary school massacre of 20 children in Newtown, CT.
Asserting that “Freedom is more powerful than fear,” the President expressed confidence in our victory of terrorism “because we are on the right side of history.”
Note from HandelontheLaw.com: This article is to be used as an educational guide only and should not be interpreted as a legal consultation. Readers of this article are advised to seek an attorney if a legal consultation is needed. Laws may vary by state and are subject to change, thus the accuracy of this information can not be guaranteed. Readers act on this information solely at their own risk. Neither the author, handelonthelaw.com, or any of its affiliates shall have any liability stemming from this article.